Monday, May 16, 2011

1-2

What is Pop Culture?

Pop culture is basically what is going on in the world at a given time, in an era. Over the years, the popularity of items, actors, TV shows, music, clothes, pretty much everything, changes to reflect those times. Fads come and go, and may come back again. For instance in the 70's bell bottom jeans were the the hip thing to wear. Sure enough, in the start of new millenium, that style was back into fashion. This culture is not necessarily the same for everyone everywhere. The East Coast popular culture is different from the West Coast popular culture, which is different than the Southern pop culture.  And most of the time, if a new fad is started in one area, it may take some time to reach the other areas of the world.

From a business standpoint, pop culture can mean new money making opportunities. If these fads are on a constant cycle, this means that new products are always in demand. In my chosen career field, Healthcare Information Systems Management, the "thing to do" is Electronic Health Records. While I do not see this as a fad that will go away, (mostly because the government won't let it), it is constantly changing. The EHR that came out 6 years ago is not as involved as the EHR that is coming out today. New applications are being added to these programs at a pretty fast rate. Physicians and hospitals all over the world are jumping on the bandwagon and picking a software that they find appealing. And while it is a pretty exciting time for me starting my career, and the healthcare field getting new toys to play with, in 20 years, this will just be the norm.

The popular icon that I chose is the Silly Bandz. Who would have ever thought that someone could become a multimillionaire by coming up with the idea to turn jelly bracelets into fun shapes? I wish I would have come up with that! I see kids, mine included, wearing these bracelets up to their elbows. Okay, I'm not going to lie, my daughter put some on my wrist a couple days ago, and they are still there. So what, they are fun, and kind of make me feel like I fit in with my kids.
source: sillybandz.com

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of your blog for silly bandz. I have to say when they first came out I though they were kinda dumb. But now, it is so fun to see the different kinds of silly bandz and how my neice and nephew love them. There is something about them picking out one for me to have that is so exciting! I wear mine whenever I am around them now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I have found myself sitting at the kitchen table with my kids trying to figure out all the shapes. I am just amazed at how someone has turned something so simple in a fun collectable for kids of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the silly bandz also. I especially like the Mickey Mouse ones. I do not have any kids but I do have nieces that collect them. I bought them some of the Disney ones just so I could have a Mickey Mouse one. I wish someone would have thought of this when I was a kid instead of just the plain old jelly bracelets that I collected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is a Junior in High School and they sold silly bands to advertise for pro life, a lot of kids bought them. I think they are really cute myself, I was surprised acually when they took this bracelet off and showed me the shapes. I think they are so cool myself. My kids are all high school age, and they still wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job defining popular culture. I was definitely interested in the silly bandz icon you chose. As you mentioned, someone made some serious cash flow for themselves by creating what I consider a mix between an upgraded rubber band many people wear on their wrists and a cheap bracelet. Whatever the idea was behind them though, kids are crazy about them and they are selling as intended, and with that said that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete