Sunday, May 29, 2011

2-1

            It’s 2011, who doesn’t know what a smartphone is? If you can find someone over the age of 12 who doesn’t, I would like to meet them, and see what cave they have been able to survive in over the last couple years. Jokes aside, the old days of the phone in a suitcase, and the plain old flip phones are over. Smartphones have taken over the mobile market. The main competitors are Apple, Samsung, Motorola and HTC. Studies are showing that in the first quarter of 2011, almost 430 million smartphones were sold to mobile phone consumers, which is a 19 percent increase from the same quarter in 2010 (Silva, 2011).
            So what does a smartphone do? I guess a better question would be what doesn’t it do? The answer is really simple…it pretty much does it all expect cook dinner for your family. And when that phone comes out, it’s mine! Depending on which Smartphone you decide to carry, there are different bells and whistles that make each one special.
            Smartphones, such as the Apple iPhone and the Motorola Droid, offer impressive operating systems with 1GHz processors, large screen sizes (4.3 inches), wireless internet access anywhere in the world, 8 to 16 MB of storage capacity, impressive cameras with flash, high resolution video cameras, and HDMI capabilities (Silva, 2011). Aside from all of these, Smartphones offer something that other phones just can’t touch: the Apps Market. Now, this is where the fun is. There are literally millions of apps available just by hitting a button on your Smartphone; games, calorie counters, turn your phone into a flashlight, diagnose your symptoms… the list could go on and on.
            To say Smartphones are a current pop culture topic would be correct. Although they have been around for several years, they really haven’t hit hard until just recently. It really shows how today’s population depends on technology to get through their daily life. Ok, so I am not going to lie. I fought the urge to get one for a long time, finding every excuse in the book. I have no idea how I ever survived without it. Sad isn’t it. I keep my life programmed in my phone. Life is faster pace than it was 20 years ago, hence the need for faster technology.

References


Hope, D. (2010, June 25). iPhone 4 vs. droid x: How do they compare? Retrieved May 29, 2011, from CS Monitor: http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0625/iPhone-4-vs.-Droid-X-How-do-they-compare
Silva, V. C. (2011, May 29). Smartphones rule in the mobile market. Retrieved May 29, 2011, from PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/article/228954/smartphones_rule_in_mobile_market.html

1 comment:

  1. I am very thankful for my smartphone. It keeps me in contact with my best friend who is over seas in the Military. It allows to me get on Yahoo Messenger whenever he is online which is not often. So if I am out at the store I can be chatting with him at the same time or if we are online together I can turn on the webcam on my smartphone and see him and he can see me. I love it. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete